Saturday, March 30, 2013

How to terrify a salesman...a case study



Last week while shopping at Home Depot, I was approached by an eager young salesman. He had a clipboard in hand and enthusiasm in his eyes and began to tell me about the "amazing opportunity" he had for today's Home Depot customers. He was excited and likely thought I would be an easy mark, so I politely let him finish his spiel. The deal was simple, sign up today for a free in home consultation to have my kitchen cabinets replaced.  

I thanked him for the information, but told him that I wasn't interested. Here's how the rest of the conversation went:

Salesman: Can I ask why you aren't interested?

Me: It's just not a good time, but I appreciate the information.

Salesman: But we're offering a limited time offer of a free consult and can complete the install of your new cabinetry within 3 days!


Me: I just don't think I can have my kitchen torn apart right now, but thank you. (Inching away and towards the exit)


Salesman: You can still use your kitchen during the install.  Did I mention we're offering special financing today to our loyal Home Depot customers?

Me: Okay, I'm going to be honest with you. I'm undergoing infertility treatments, and spending a small fortune to do so. The last thing I should do is add a demolished kitchen to the cocktail of hormones I'm taking.

Salesman: (once he picked up his jaw from the floor) Ummm, I...I've never had that response before.  Ummm, good luck with that. Have a nice day ma'am. 

That's right, I got "ma'am-ed" but I also didn't have to hear any more pushy sales tactics.   Feel free to use this the next time you get a telemarketing call during dinner or get cornered in a store. I'm wondering what other uncomfortable situations this could neutralize...parking tickets? 

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Love it! I horrified the high school yearbook reunion salesman when he was surprised I was in my mid 30s with no kids. He had the gall to say that "well, you are teacher, so your students are probably your kids!" Um, no. I teach 8th and 9th grade, so while I love my students they are NOT "my kids." I told him all about the years of infertility treatments and failures. He didn't really press the sale of the reunion book to me after that! :)

    ReplyDelete