Friday, March 14, 2014

Arlo's First Month

In some ways the last month feels like a blur and in other ways, a series of precious memories in need of archiving. With the lack of sleep and adjusting to our new normal as a family of three, my blogging activity has fallen to the back burner, but I'm taking a few moments while Arlo sleeps in his baby swing to jot down some of my favorite moments of his first month:

  1. Taking gratuitous photos: Yes, we are those parents, and if you follow us on Facebook or Instagram (@thosegages), you are likely on Arlo overload. We can't help ourselves. Every smile and poop face needs documentation. See exhibit A below (all photos were taken within 30 seconds and capture the many moods and expressions of baby Arlo!) 
    Exhibit A
  2. Adjusting to little sleep: Waking up every hour to make sure he's breathing, every two hours for feeding/diaper change/reswaddle, and sometimes just sitting up watching him sleep. It's amazing how getting the first 3 hour stretch of sleep will make you feel like superwoman and capable of anything.
  3. Loving my baby daddy: Ken is a rock. Period. I already knew this through our infertility journey. The man is amazing, but seeing him as a daddy has brought it to a new level. His patience and tenderness with our little man is nothing shy of beautiful. He also has taken it upon himself to make sure I'm making it through the muddle of postpartum moodiness, sleeplessness and hormone spikes. One of my favorite moments thus far was after a particularly long day home solo with a very fussy Arlo, Ken came home, ordered pizza, poured me a beer and sat across from me in the nursery while I rocked the boy, feeding me bites and sips while my hands were full. That's love and teamwork. :)
  4. Singing to my baby: This little guy is going to have an appreciation for good tunes. I regularly pace the house with him singing James Taylor, The Beatles, and Carole King. I find myself tearing up half the time that I have him in my arms and can sing to him. Still surreal folks.
  5. Being with family: One of the main reasons we are living in Texas now is so we could raise Arlo near his family and our friends. I've been so touched by the outpouring of love, care, and generosity of those who love us. We are beyond lucky.
  6. Being okay with crying: Babies cry. It's their only communication tool, but it's no less disturbing, and heart rending to a pair of new parents. We've learned ways to soothe the little guy (thank you gas relief drops and baby Zantac) and know that this season of fuss and colic will be behind us soon.
I'm sure there are 2 dozen more moments I'm forgetting, but I only get to write in 10 minute segments and with one hand half the time. :)

Thrilled to be Arlo's mommy,

Lindsey

5 comments:

  1. Lindsey, he is absolutely precious! So happy for you! It sounds like you three are doing well. Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so adorable! I can't wait for these moments with my boys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Love Exhibit A, love all the things you are reveling in/getting used to in these first few weeks. I am so happy for you guys! He is just GORGEOUS. Lots of love, lady, lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We tried to get pregnant for a few years in a local clinic. There were no results. We've tried everything possible but nothing. We were recommended to use donor eggs. I knew we have to try herbal made medicine. I was terrified. I didn't know how to go about it and where to begin my search. When my friend recommended me to Dr Itua herbal medicine in Western African. I thought she was joking. I knew nothing about that country and I was afraid with shame I must say I thought it was a little bit...wild? Anyway she convinced me to at least check it out. I've done the research and thought that maybe this really is a good idea. Dr Itua has reasonable prices. Also it has high rates of successful treatments. Plus it uses Natural Herbs. Well I should say I was convinced. I and My Husband give a try and now we can say it was the best decision in our lives. We were trying for so long to have a child and suddenly it all looked so simple. The doctors and staff were so confident and hopeful they projected those feelings on me too. I am so happy to be a mother and eternally thankful to Dr Itua and Lori My Dear Friend. Don’t be afraid and just do it! Try Dr itua herbal medicine today and sees different in every situaton.Dr Itua Contact Info...Whatsapp+2348149277967/drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Dr Itua have cure for the following diseases.All types of cancer,Liver/Kidney inflamatory,Fibroid,Infertility.Herpes Virus.

    ReplyDelete